Monday, August 16, 2010

Etsy Houston Profiles - Roxy of Feisty Fabrik

Name: roxy


Where are you from?
         I was born in California and traveled back and forth between there, Texas, Florida, and Saudi Arabia, until finally settling in Texas when I was 11. [my dad worked in oil]
Where do you live?
         I currently reside in Houston, Tx with my lovely boyfriend of 5 years and 3 beautiful dogs.

What types of things do you make/sell?
          I make a lot of feisty! hand stitched goodies.  These include headbands for women, teens, and children, brooches [unisex!], and hairclips.  I also make brightly colored zipper pouches, pocket mirrors, and plushies.  The Mustachasaurus brooch is one of my most popular items :)
How long have you been crafting?
         I remember spending hours making greetings cards for my parents when I was younger. In high school I didn't know how to work my mom's sewing machine so I hand stitched cute little pillows and scarves. Finally I tried my hand at more detailed work, and my mom showed me how to use a sewing machine :) I also took a great class at Sew Crafty and totally love using my sewing machine!

            When did you decide to open up a shop?
         I finally took the plunge in March 2009 after loving and shopping on Etsy for 2 years.
Do you prefer to sell your crafts online or in person? Or both?
My lazy answer is that I like dealing with everything online. I'm a pretty web savvy gal and prefer taking care of everything there! But it’s really uplifting to watch people’s facial expressions as they walk by my craft fair booth J

Do you have a second job? If so, what is it?
          By day I teach 7th grade mathematics to crazy little middle schoolers I definitely use my crafting as a sort of release! But I probably get a lot of my inspiration in the work place, too.

What inspired you to start crafting?
          I’ve always loved creating, and I think it’s partly because of my grandmother. She used to make the most amazing outfits for my sister and I when we were younger. I think that part of the reason we are so close is because we share that bond. J

Have you learned anything along the way, as far as your business is concerned?
         There are so many great books that have taught me so much.  I've also taken online classes such as Indie Biz, and other online communities/craft blogs.  The most important things I’ve learned have been from mistakes I have made!   J
What other hobbies or interests do you have?
          I love traveling and photography. I rollerblade with my dogs pretty often, and lately I’ve been getting into roller SKATING. I am hoping to partake in some roller derby fun J

Who inspires you?
Crafty blogs are highly inspirational! I love reading about people’s new ventures and seeing the cute things they are making.  I’ve been reading a lot of crafty books, too!
I often check the featured etsian because I want to know what gets noticed J


            Do you have any tips to share with newbies?
Yes! Take amazing photographs.  Photos are the first thing that get noticed when searching for an item. Make sure to use natural light [shade vs direct sun] and MINIMAL distractions in the background. Also, cute packaging makes people happy J

No comments: