Friday, September 17, 2010

Etsy Houston Profiles - Kristen of Frilled&Feathered

Name: Kristen Kramlich           
Where are you from? Houston
Where do you live? Houston
What types of things do you make/sell? Handmade jewelry

How long have you been crafting? I’ve been crafting since I was really little. My momma and grandmaare super woman crafters so I’m sort of following in their footsteps.

When did you decide to open up a shop? I started making jewelry because  I couldn’t find a piece I had my mind set on. My sister called a week later for me to check out something on Etsy and fell in love. Then I thought, hey, I can do this too!

Do you prefer to sell your crafts online or in person? Or both? I’ll sell my craft anywhere you want to buy it from me, but I really enjoy in person sales. I enjoy the chance to meet people who are appreciating my work and I’m able to share a bit of my passion with them as well.

Do you have a second job?  If so, what is it? For 2 more weeks I work in HR. I’m hoping to make a living out of jewelry after that.

What inspired you to start crafting? For as long as I can remember I’ve been learning all kinds of crafts from my mom & grandma. I can’t really imagine my life without it.

Have you learned anything along the way, as far as your business is concerned?  Of course I’ve learned a lot, it would be a shame to stop learning. The thing I’ve learned the most about is picture taking, though. It’s still the bane of my existence.

What other hobbies or interests do you have? I also design clothes and sew, paint (on occasion), listen to live music any chance I can get, drool over new tattoos I want but can’t afford, go to wine club meetings & tastings (mmmmmm), and watch horror movies.

Who inspires you? [blogs, etsy shops, etc] I’m inspired by color and texture.  I like to recreate random instances in abstract form.  Sometimes I just let my materials do the inspiring too.

Do you have any tips to share with newbies? Do what you love & be persistent! Don’t take criticism personally, but realize that there are many who have gone down the road you’re about to go down. There is no shame in asking for help.

No comments: