Monday, October 18, 2010

Emily of Emilee Rose Designs

Name: Emily
Shop: emilee rose designs

Where are you from? Houston, Texas

Where do you live? Houston Heights

What types of things do you make/sell? All things paper...paper dolls, illustrations, and stationery.

How long have you been crafting? I've been mad crafty all my life. Growing up, my mom would always plan craft projects for my brother and me to do. And I've never stopped.

When did you decide to open up a shop? I opened shop in July of 2008 after a friend of mine needed vendors at a craft show she was organizing. After the show, I decided to make an entire line of products to sell. 

Do you prefer to sell your crafts online or in person? Or both? I like both, but I get excited for on-line sales. It's fun to see people all over the world interested in your products. 

Do you have a second job?  If so, what is it? I work full time as a graphic designer for PH Design Shop. It is so much fun and a perfect way to spend my day creating.

What inspired you to start crafting? In college, I worked at a stationery boutique. I always admired the artist and designers of the products that we carried. Many of them started small, just them working away in their living room. While drooling over the greeting cards, I thought "I should do this." 

Have you learned anything along the way, as far as your business is concerned? I have learned that it is not as simple to sell your product than it is to make it. Making my dolls and stationery are fun...selling them is work!

What other hobbies or interests do you have? Besides painting and drawing and crafting, I love decorating and redesigning spaces in my house. I also love practicing yoga and going to the movies. 

Who inspires you? [blogs, etsy shops, etc] Besides a slew of design/craft blogs, I am mostly inspired by other illustrators. Belle and BooSarah Jane Studios, and The Black Apple are my favorite!

Do you have any tips to share with newbies? Since I'm a designer, I am pretty into the visuals. I think it's important to have a single brand or look to your products and your shop, so that when customer's go to your shop page, they feel like they are in YOUR store, and not etsy's. Even after doing this for 2 years, I still feel like I'm learning and absorbing other tips!

2 comments:

DAVS said...

neat:)

Notes from the Republic said...

oh man.. i've gotta get some of these paper dolls.. like.. now.