Monday, October 4, 2010

Etsy Houston Profiles - Jo Claire of Groovy Gal

Name:  Jo Claire

Where are you from?  Native Texan--born in Austin, raised in Baytown
Where do you live? Clear Lake



What types of things do you make/sell?  I create original artwork on canvas, drawings, boxes, totes, cards, pendants, etc...
How long have you been crafting?  About 4 years

When did you decide to open up a shop?  I was browsing Etsy one day, looking at ACEO's, and I thought, "I can do that!"  So I did. 

Do you prefer to sell your crafts online or in person? Or both?  I like both.  In person, it's interesting to hear the comments and get to see the person who's going to enjoy your craft.  On line, I find that instead of purchasing what's available and ready to ship, I get a lot of custom requests.  Sometimes that can be overwhelming, but it's still fun to create something to a person's specifications.

Do you have a second job? If so, what is it?  I'm a classroom teacher and an online teacher--high school English.  2010-2011 will be my 18th year in the classroom, so art/crafting is actually my 3rd job.  LOL

What inspired you to start crafting?  I wanted to participate in a local Christmas street festival, so I had to come up with something to sell.  I started out by painting rocks--kind of like Pet Rocks--and they sold like crazy!  Go figure.

Have you learned anything along the way, as far as your business is
concerned?  If you don't "work it," no one will know that you exist.  Blog, tweet, pass out business cards to all that you meet, talk about your art.

What other hobbies or interests do you have?  I'm an avid reader and movie buff.

Who inspires you? [blogs, etsy shops, etc]  I want to be Amy Giacomelli when I grow up! LOL
Do you have any tips to share with newbies?  Don't be afraid to try new things.

No comments: